Sunday, January 25, 2009

Greek language progress

We began language school again this week and Mike is having a good time. Exact quote, "it is even fun!" We are thrilled. He has a new teacher who speaks only Greek in class which he thinks is good because it helps him keep mind focused in Greek. She is enthusiastic and is trying many different methods of communicating with their class of 6 students which Mike finds helpful. This is truly an answer to prayer because he had such a bad experience last time he attended class.

Peggy's teacher, on the other hand, is not as challenging and it will be harder for her as he is "too easy." He communicates a lot in English and doesn't give any homework. Way too easy since she does much better with pressure. Please pray that she will continue to work hard on her own.

We really believe that we need to be able to want to communicate with Greeks in their heart language in order to share Jesus with them. Please keep praying for us and we will keep trying.




ONE FUN LANGUAGE EXPERIENCE:

While I (Peggy) was out for an early morning walk by our house, I was approached by a Greek taxi driver. As I saw him slowing and rolling down his window, I began to recite in my head the Greek words to say, I don't speak Greek, so that I would be prepared to tell him. Before I could speak, he asked me for directions and sure enough I understood what he was asking and miracle of all (those who know I am so directionally challenged) I knew the place. So instead of telling him that I didn't speak Greek I was able to give him directions!!! The truth is though, that the place he was asking about was right across the street as well as the only restaurant on the country back roads where I walk! So I pointed and said, Δουκατο, ειναι εδω. It's right here. OK, it is a bit of an exaggeration to say that they will be hiring me as a GPS consultant (now or ever) but I did walk away smiling thinking, I just gave a Greek taxi driver directions-wow that was really cool and it encouraged me to keep pressing on!!

1 comment:

The Wilson Family said...

Way to go Peggy!!! I am so proud of you!!!
I was also very encouraged to hear that Mike is enjoying his language class; what an answer to prayer!

I check your blog often hungry for information on how you two are doing.

We miss you and love you guys!!
Your in our prayers.
Love, Erin