Sunday, December 2, 2007

A Reluctant Servant



A week ago, when most of your were enjoying your Thanksgiving holiday, eating leftovers and putting up Christmas decorations, Mike and I had the opportunity to spend the night out at HM’s seaside camp, Porto Astro. On Saturday, I spent the day cleaning a boat on shore while the rest of the team did repairs on the Morning Star (HM’s 67 ft. sailboat). The five hours or so that I spent cleaning the boat by myself gave me a lot of time to speak and to listen to God and to learn more about myself.

While I was washing the boat I kept thinking how much I didn’t enjoy doing this task. I was thinking of everyone at home shopping and celebrating and feeling somewhat sorry for myself. I was rationalizing that I was too old to be climbing up into this little dinghy and cleaning it, after all, I am a grandma! I couldn’t picture any of my friends back home doing it or even any of my kids doing it. Then I told God “I am a bible study teacher, not a boat cleaner. Did you forget that I just graduated with a degree in Biblical Studies from Moody?” And God said to me, “Do you think you are too good for boat cleaning?” And I answered, “Yes, I think I am.” And He said, “Was Jesus not too good in His perfect holiness to come to earth and take your filthy sins to the cross?” And I was silenced. He said “You say you want to be my servant, but now you are complaining about the work I have given you today. You are telling me what you are willing to do to serve Me.” And I was humbled. He said, “Peggy, in order to use you to do anything here in Greece, I need you to come before me in brokenness, not in pride.” And I was quiet.

This was a shocking, painful day of self revelation for me. How is it that we say we will serve God with all our hearts, mind, strength and soul and then we put parameters on that service? How easy it is to speak words, how much more difficult it is to surrender to God’s plan not our own. I still have so much to learn, but am trusting The Teacher! I won’t quickly forget this lesson in boat cleaning!